When planning our wedding, I remember being torn as to what necklace to wear. At the time, it had never crossed my mind not to wear one. So, I bought several possibilities, put on the dress, and tried one after another after another. As excited as I was to have an excuse to buy sparkly jewelry, I wasn’t loving any of the necklaces with the dress. Each and every option ended up going back to the store.
A little while later, I sat with my bridesmaid and wedding planner, Hayley. I told her about the necklaces and how none had worked. I asked her what she thought.
“I don’t think you should wear a necklace at all,” she laughed. “With your beautiful dress, a bare neck will look a lot more elegant.” Wow. It was like a light bulb turning on. I had the option not to wear a necklace. I fought it for quite awhile after that, but in the end, she was absolutely right. A bare neck was a lot more elegant.
Of course, my choice won’t be the best for everyone, so let’s look at the pros and cons.
- Necklaces are pretty and can really dress up a plain gown.
- It’s a way to bring in personality, whether that’s by bringing in some sparkle or by introducing a new, bold color.
- It can easily be your something new or borrowed or even blue.
- It can cover up any scars or beauty marks on your neck
- It can detract from the gown.
- It can shift and not lay right, which doesn’t look good in photos
- It’s one more thing to buy or find.
- It’s one more thing you may need to constantly adjust.
Here are some inspiration photos to help you make up your mind!
Photography by ShootAnyAngle Wedding Photography